In 1906, Peoria philanthropist John C Proctor opened the Proctor Home with just 20 residents. Mr. Proctor’s vision was to establish a senior living home to provide high-quality, worry free living. On September 25th, 2014, residents and the Trustees of John C Proctor Endowment celebrated the home’s 108th Anniversary with a private dinner.
The John C Proctor Endowment Home, known at the time of origin as Proctor Home, has come a long way in 108 years. In 1976, Proctor Home moved from the original building on Spring Street to its current location, a six-story building on Reservoir Blvd. This building, the center of a growing Proctor Place community, is now called “The Heights” and is just one of many independent living options. The first expansion at the current location occurred in 1981 with an addition of the apartment buildings now known as “The Garden View.” With more independent living options came a need for a larger healthcare wing, so in 1998, Proctor Home opened “Shepherd’s Way”, its on-site nursing care facility. To mark the 100 year milestone in 2006, “The Centennial Building” was opened offering another independent living option for those searching for larger living accommodations.
After years of growth and expansion, in 2013 Proctor Home announced it would now be known as Proctor Place to better represent our focus on offering the finest independent living options with a private nursing care facility available only to Proctor Place residents. Donna Malone, President CEO said, “Today, the focus on continuous improvement continues, even in our 108th year. Over the last year, we have finished several major remodeling projects including a beautiful new entrance and large family room area along with the addition of two restaurants, each complete with their own distinct menus of made-to-order options. We are proud to continue John C. Proctor’s legacy.”
View photos from this event.